Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Black Lung

Living in Kenya is not impossible. Obviously. People have done it since the literal beginning of man and will do it long after I go. This being said, life is different here. Not impossible, just different.
One of my incredibly dorky hobbies has been taking note of how Kenyans do things where I have grown accustomed to having first world conveniences. 
One thing you hear a lot is that Americans have "very much" money. False, well comparatively true, and that Americans use machines for everything. True. 
Here are just some of the things I've written down. I'm sure there are many many more and I will try to add to the list as my time here grows.


Tupperware: One plate placed on top of the other to make a giant dome.
Lawnmower: A machete with the tip bent at a 90 degree angle swung back and forth by an old man smoking a cigarette or a tiny little sickle wielded by a ten year old.
Lawnmower #2: Sheep, cows and goats.
Dishwasher: Two buckets and one bar of soap.
Washing machine for clothes: Same two buckets and same bar of soap.
Bathtub: One of the previously mentioned buckets, same bar of soap if you are really hardcore. I'm not. 
Excel Spreadsheet: Piece of paper, ruler and pen.
Trash Compactor: Box of matches.
Central Heat: A charcoal stove that sits in the middle of the room that hopefully won't kill you from CO2 while you sleep.
Door Lock: Nail halfway hammered into the door jam, bent at 135 degrees, and twisted in front of the door to keep it "locked".

I also promise that one of these days I will write about what I am actually doing here. I assure you I'm not ONLY sitting around being a smart ass. I'm working a little here and there also. 


1 comment:

  1. Haha, I like the last sentence. Good observations. Enjoyable reading!! Miss you, Vonie!

    ReplyDelete